What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can i customize a notification for a sensor down to a specified group of sensors?

Votes:

I have a group of Physical servers and I would like to customize the notification for Ping down sensor only, to say "Physical server down" or something like it and the name of the server. Could anyone let me know if there is a way to do that?

Thanks in advance.

custom-notification ping sensor

Created on Jul 25, 2012 4:02:53 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

there are a few steps to do this:

• Add a new Notification to PRTG, and change the Email Body and subject to your liking, but including the &device - placeholder though
  • Add a State-Trigger on the group of devices which are the Physical Servers which uses the above mentioned and created notification upon DOWN condition
  • Then make sure this trigger is inherited to all sensors in this group

best regards.

Created on Jul 26, 2012 12:24:03 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks, could this notification be applied to the group of servers but only for the Ping sensor?, and can this be done all at once whithout having to do it for each individual device?

Created on Jul 26, 2012 1:33:39 PM

Votes:

By default, inherited triggers will apply on all sensors in a device/group of devices. It is not possible to set the trigger to only work on certain types of sensors as mentioned. It may help though to use dependencies, in fact set the ping sensors to be masters on their devices, so that only they go into error-state if the parent device goes down (and all other sensors are paused). Then you'll only get notifications from the ping sensors about downs if a device goes down.

Created on Jul 26, 2012 4:17:50 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.