What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is there any sensor that can be used to monitor a subnet state?

Votes:

I work in a place with different buildings and we manage different subnets for all of the network, i would like to know if there is a way to monitor a specific subnet with the PRTG sensors and receive notifications on their down/up state. Thanks in advance.

custom-notification sensors subnet

Created on Jul 25, 2012 6:36:39 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

that could be a ping sensor? Do you want to know if the entire subnet is available or not?

best regards.

Created on Jul 26, 2012 12:57:39 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, I would like to know if the entire subnet is available.

Created on Jul 26, 2012 1:31:04 PM

Votes:

Then monitoring the according switch/Router should be a good start, and in addition to that you could use several Ping Sensors monitoring different devices in this subnet, combine their results in a Sensor Factory Sensor, and have this one then set to down if all Ping Sensors are down.

Created on Jul 26, 2012 3:58:26 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks.

Created on Jul 27, 2012 2:22:03 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.