What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Traffic Sensor, Errors In / Out Channels, what do they monitor?

Votes:

I'm looking for specific information regarding the Errors In & Errors Out optional channels within the SNMP Traffic Sensor. I have a need to monitor the Input, Output, CRC, and Frame error interface statistics. I would prefer to not have to create custom OID & template for 3000 uplink ports, so it would be nice to know; 1) Is this functionality already built in? 2) If yes, is there an easy way to add Errors In / Out channels without recreating the sensor & loosing the historic monitoring? 3) If no, what is the best approach for adding all Trunk Ports on a Router/Switch that include; Traffic In/Out, Discards In/Out, & the Interface Errors that I need?

Thanks,

channels prtg9 snmp traffic

Created on Jul 26, 2012 5:23:31 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

it's according to the SNMP Standard: "The number of inbound packets that contained errors preventing them from being deliverable to a higher-layer protocol."
See http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.14.html and http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.20.html
Should that be not sufficient, you would need to consult with the Vendor(s) of your switches if they can provide MIBs to monitor the other counters with SNMP.
You can enable all the Additional Channels for several traffic sensors at once using the Multi-Edit.

Created on Jul 27, 2012 1:02:48 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.