What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is there a way to add a device without an IP address or a DNS?

Votes:

I would like to add a device, so i can add several website sensors from different hosted servers. This will help to monitor the websites all from one place and as a sensor backup in case we lose connectivity to the hosted servers. This server will act kind of like the groups except it would not have devices in it. I checked to see if it was possible to add sensors to a group itself without devices but that is not possible since I have to have a device in the group to add sensors. This "virtual"(non existing) server wouldn't have an IP address nor a DNS, can this be possible?

Thanks in advance.

devices ip-address sensor website

Created on Jul 31, 2012 9:03:32 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

you can simply enter a dummy "IP/name" on the device, and then have HTTP-Sensors with URLs of the target websites in their Settings. The HTTP Sensors will then ignore the fake IP of the parent device.

best regards.

Created on Aug 1, 2012 1:09:32 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 1, 2012 1:09:39 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks.

Created on Aug 1, 2012 1:38:00 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.