What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

DNS lookup in syslog receiver sensor

Votes:

Is there a way to have the PRTG syslog receiver do a DNS lookup on the source of each syslog message?

For example, right now I get this in the log: 1438: Severity "Warning" in [172.26.243.30: : 2012 Aug 6 14:03:19 PDT: %OSPF-4-DUPRID: ospf-20 [4630] (default) Router 10.255.10.3 on interface Vlan10 is using our routerid, packet dropped]

I'd like PRTG to do a lookup on 172.26.243.30 to resolve to the hostname and print that instead.

Is that possible? Thanks, Tim

dns hostname syslog

Created on Aug 6, 2012 9:13:59 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
I'm afraid this is not possible. Sorry.
Best regards

Created on Aug 7, 2012 6:33:05 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for confirming that. Can you consider as a feature request for a future release? Tim

Created on Aug 7, 2012 3:19:12 PM

Votes:

Hi,
I will put this request to the wishlist for upcoming releases. If you are interested in how feature requests are handled you should additional have a look at this article.
Best regards

Created on Aug 8, 2012 5:47:51 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.