What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Changing the service user?

Votes:

Hi,

I would like to run PRTG under a specific AD service account. By default, the services use the local system account. When i try to change the user for the service, the core service comes up and stops immediately. To get it back up and running I have to revert to the local system account. Is it possible to change that user and what requirements does this user need to fullfill in terms of rights and permissions?

ad-account permissions service-user

Created on Aug 7, 2012 12:30:24 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

the PRTG Core Service should run under other accounts than the "LOCAL SYSTEM", but usually only Admin accounts may work properly beyond the LOCAL SYSTEM account to ensure that PRTG is able to access all resources (Ports, files, folders, etc.). Do you see any errors in the Eventlogs when you try starting the Core Service under a different account?

best regards.

Created on Aug 7, 2012 4:28:53 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

added admin rights, works fine now, thanks!

Created on Aug 8, 2012 2:34:38 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.