What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I send a "net send" notification from XP / Server 2003?

Votes:

My PRTG installation is running on a Windows 2003 Server / XP without an internet connection. So I want to use "net send" for notifications. Copying "net.exe" to the "C:\Programme\PRTG Network Monitor\Notifications\EXE" directory does not work. What can I do?

net-send notifications prtg windows-2003 windows-xp

Created on Aug 15, 2012 2:10:36 PM by  Bernd Wolf (100) 2 1

Last change on Aug 15, 2012 2:51:30 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 12 or later

Using NET SEND with PRTG

In order to send messages using NET SEND please follow two simple steps.

Step 1

Add a new batch file to the Notifications\EXE sub folder of your PRTG program directory, with the following content:

cd "C:\WINDOWS\system32" start net.exe send "%1" "%2"

The first parameter is the DNS name or IP address of your target machine. The second one is the message which should be sent to the target.

Step 2

Add a new "Execute Program" notification with your batch file as "Program file" and add the following parameter:

"YOURTARGETMACHINE" "[%sitename] %device %name %status %down (%message)"

Replace YOURTARGETMACHINE by the DNS name or IP address of the target machine.

Please pay attention to the quotes mentioned above. These are mandatory for correct functionality.

Note

The operating systems Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 are not officially supported anymore. If you run PRTG on one of these operating systems, you have to accept limited monitoring functionality. We do not provide support for any issues that might be caused (directly or indirectly) by using these Windows versions.

Created on Aug 15, 2012 2:19:26 PM by  Bernd Wolf (100) 2 1

Last change on Aug 25, 2014 4:44:40 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.