What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

GeoMaps default location off Africa

Votes:

When I use the API to add GeoMaps coordinates, every group is plotted off the west coast of Africa. I have to go into the group, click after the last number, press space, then backspace and it will plot correctly.

I have had this happen on numerous occasions when typing the numbers in manually as well. The format of the coordinates is latitude,longitude

Thanks

api automatically geomaps

Created on Aug 17, 2012 12:11:26 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

may I ask, which exact version of PRTG are you using?

best regards.

Created on Aug 17, 2012 4:06:22 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

When you change location via api, you have to set both location_="name of the location" and lonlat_="[longitude,latitude]", because the api performs no geolookup.

If your locations are positioned somewhere in the Gulf of Guinea, this simply means that your lonlat is [0,0].

Created on Oct 9, 2012 11:05:37 AM by  Stefan Messner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This appears to be a bug in PRTG. If you populate the location field using the API then the geomap doesn't read the location correctly. You have to go into each location and press enter after the location data that is already there. Adding "%0d" or "%0a" to the end of the location has no effect and get stripped.

Created on Jan 21, 2013 10:24:06 AM

Votes:

Dear Andy,

this is by design.

Due to the geo location provider's terms of use, we may only query the geo location lookup service from a graphical user interface.

If you use the PRTG API to fill in the Location information, we're simply not allowed to automatically query geo information for any clear text locations you submit.

So, when adding location information via the PRTG API, please use geo locations together with the location name. For example, use: /api/setobjectproperty.htm?id=<OBJECT ID HERE>&name=location&value=New York

/api/setobjectproperty.htm?id=<OBJECT ID HERE>&name=lonlat&value=74.007118,40.714550

As of PRTG Network Monitor 13.3.5.2576 or later, there is a new API call to set the geo location of an object. Please see this article for details.

Created on Jan 21, 2013 1:55:03 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Aug 7, 2013 2:19:35 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.