What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How does PRTG load balance polling?

Votes:

I have a two part question.

1. If I have a network with 100 switches and a poll interval of 5 minutes, does PRTG spread the polling of the devices over that 5 minute period? Or does it poll all 100 devices at the same time every 5 minutes?

2. I wanted a Traffic Out only sensor to display a Traffic Out only graph on a map. I am unable to work out how to create a custom sensor with the channels I need so I added a second SNMP Traffic sensor and hid all the other channels in the graphs. Will this result in additional SNMP requests or does it use the one request and data recieved for both sensors?

Thanks

load polling snmp-traffic

Created on Aug 20, 2012 4:45:59 AM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

1.) yes, PRTG spreads the polling at startup so that not all polls are made at the same time. After that PRTG will use the set interval. With th e5min interval you should use SNMP v2!

2.) The additional sensor will be an extra SNMP poll.

to avoid that you can use a sensor factory sensor

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/sensor_factory_sensor.htm

Created on Aug 20, 2012 5:02:12 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.