What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Read time out during software auto-update of PRTG. What can I do?

Votes:

When trying to use the automatic software update of PRTG, the "latest auto-update message" shows

Update download in progress... 102 of 103 MB

for several minutes, then it shows

Autoupdate: Error while downloading update (Read timed out.)

What can I do?

antivirus auto-update download eset nod32 prtg

Created on Aug 20, 2012 8:29:41 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Aug 20, 2012 8:38:36 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 12 or later

Check your Anti Virus / Anti Malware Product

Most likely, there is an anti-virus or anti-malware product running on the computer where your PRTG core server is installed, and this product blocks the download performed by PRTG.

For example, we've seen such a behavior on systems running ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

So solve this issue, we recommend you either disable your protection product temporarily during download and installation, or you add the PRTG program directory to the excluded paths, so PRTG's files are ignored permanently. You might also need to explicitly whitelist the paessler.com domain.

The exact settings on your systems will vary depending on the security product(s) you use.

Example: ESET NOD32

In our case using ESET NOD32, it was necessary to enter the advanced configuration mode and add the string *paessler.com* to the "HTTP address management" exclude list of the Web access protection component, in order to successfully use PRTG's auto-update function.

ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 Zoom image

Created on Aug 20, 2012 8:35:09 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Mar 19, 2013 10:12:32 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Just the answer I have been waiting for :) and we have NOD32 so perfect - I would have upvoted but dont have the reputation!! :(

Created on Sep 17, 2012 8:34:07 AM

Votes:

A big thank you for this, it's been driving me up the wall for a while

Created on May 16, 2013 10:31:30 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.