What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Traffic Sensor - Detecting disconnected ports

Votes:

Hi,

We use 2x HP Procurve 8212zl core switches. We need to monitor all the active ports on these devices and be notified if a port goes offline, monitoring ping responses is not enough as every comms location has a resilient link so a ping will only fail if both core switches have a problem the edge switch is powered off or both fibers are cut/disconnected. When I do an auto discovery of the core switches using an SNMP traffic port scan as part of a device template it detects some ports that are not in use and are therefore not connected causing false notifications. Not all ports that are disconnected are detected. How can I change the discovery so that these ports are ignored unless they change to a connected state? I know it can be done if I add the sensor manually as PRTG lists the current connection state for all ports but I would like to be able to leave it to auto discover in case a new port is enabled/connected on the core switches and it is not added manually.

Many Thanks

Mike

autodiscovery sensor snmp trafficsensor

Created on Aug 30, 2012 7:12:04 AM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

the Auto-Discovery will add a SNMP Traffic Sensor for each interface (that hasn't already a sensor), which has traffic counters above 0. Regardless if the interface is connected or not. I'm afraid that cannot be changed or configured (not in device templates as well). Sorry.

best regards.

Created on Aug 30, 2012 1:31:39 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

If I were to clear the traffic counters would this then mean that the sensors would not be added?

Regards

Mike

Created on Aug 30, 2012 3:00:33 PM

Votes:

Yes, but please be aware that sometimes internal traffic counters are not the same as SNMP Traffic Counters (which are the ones being checked). The SNMP Traffic Counters can only be reset with a reboot of the device, according to the SNMP Standard.

Created on Aug 30, 2012 3:29:25 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.