What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I monitor my server's availability?

Votes:

Is possible to create a sensor to monitor the server availability?

prtg script sensor

Created on Apr 22, 2010 8:59:27 PM

Last change on May 5, 2010 8:18:11 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

If you mean any other server, just use a ping sensor.

If you want to check the PRTG server itself, please take a look at How can I monitor one PRTG instance with another instance of PRTG?

Created on Apr 23, 2010 7:37:40 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 23, 2010 7:47:35 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Thanks very much for the fast answer.

Yes i mean other server. But i need monitor the server uptime and downtime, then calculate the server availability. Then show the uptime availability percentage in sensor chart.

Created on Apr 23, 2010 9:56:24 AM

Votes:

To monitor a server's availability, please go to the PRTG web interface. There, create a new device for your server and on this device, create a PING sensor.

In the PING sensor's "Live Data" and other data tabs ("2 days" ... "Historic Data") you will see the downtime of your server in percent.

Created on Apr 23, 2010 1:13:05 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.