What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Cannot setup notifications using relay

Votes:

Unable to send mail through our relay. My Outlook can on the same network. I can get on the PRTG server and telnet directly into the relay on port 25. There's no detail in the PRTG logs showing why it cannot send through the relay. The relay has no log of rejecting anything so I don't think PRTG is even reaching the relay. If I use a POP3 it works but I need to use my relay.

email relay telnet

Created on Sep 5, 2012 10:42:14 PM

9 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

how exactly did you setup the email notification delivery in PRTG then? Which version of PRTG are you using? And did you check the "Logs"->"System Events"->"Notifications" or the PRTG System Logs?

best regards.

Created on Sep 6, 2012 1:21:01 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Was not sure if this post is public so I am using "mydomain.com" for my host/domain name

>how exactly did you setup the email notification delivery in PRTG then? Setup, Acct Setting, Notifications,(in Notification name) "Email to Admin", Check box "send email", then entered the two email addresses, separated by semi-colons that we need to sent to. Then Setup, Sys Admin, Notification Delivery, 2nd option - "Use SMTP", filled in sender email, support@"mydomain.com", port 25, sender name "PRTG", HELO "mydomain.com" (a valid DNS name) the machine name is "ptrg" (t and r swapped by mistake). No encryption, no auth

>Which version of PRTG are you using? PRTG Network Monitor 12.3.1.2420

>.... check the "Logs" 9/6/2012 9:02:32 AM None Group Root Notification Info Error sending "Email": Connection failed (""mydoman.com"")

Created on Sep 6, 2012 4:06:02 PM

Last change on Sep 6, 2012 6:23:16 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

... two email addresses, separated by semi-colons... Sorry, I meant comma separated

Created on Sep 6, 2012 5:10:32 PM

Votes:

A HELO is necessary (usually the FQDN should suffice), but also the error "Connection Failed" could hint on something blocking the connection entirely.

Created on Sep 6, 2012 6:24:24 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I agree, it appears blocked. In Looking at the mail relay message logs, it shows nothing when I send a test email from PRTG. However, why is it that from the same PRTG machine, from a command prompt, I can telnet directly into the mail relay on port 25 without any problem and the mail relay logs show me info about my telnet session. So, if I can telnet out to the SMTP on the same machine, why can't PRTG?

Created on Sep 6, 2012 8:00:14 PM

Votes:

From the same PRTG machine I can access the SMTP relay using telnet on port 25 from the command prompt. And the SMTP mail log on the mail relay shows I am logged in. PRTG never reaches the relay when I "test" PRTG notification. If telnet can access the relay from the same machine, why can't PRTG?

Created on Sep 6, 2012 10:28:56 PM

Votes:

Either the settings in PRTG are not correct, or there may be a service orientated firewall running blocking only PRTG.

Created on Sep 7, 2012 8:46:18 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Turning off widows firewall does not fix the issue. No anti-virus installed. And the same settings work on the email client. Any other ideas?

Created on Sep 7, 2012 3:15:23 PM

Votes:

Only the windows firewall could possibly block it. Turning off the firewall in Windows yields no difference.

Created on Sep 11, 2012 12:08:24 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.