What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Change values numbers to names

Votes:

Hello,

I need to change returned SNMP values from numbers 1,4,6,... to names. For example this is an APC OID with possible answers:

Syntax INTEGER {unknown(1), onLine(2), onBattery(3), onSmartBoost(4), timedSleeping(5), softwareBypass(6), off(7), rebooting(8), switchedBypass(9), hardwareFailureBypass(10), sleepingUntilPowerReturn(11), onSmartTrim(12) }

It's very good to see 2 as normal, 3 as warning and upper than 3 as alarm. But as you can see there are a lot of different values will be missed if i use this settings. We have 4 big monitors which show us real time statistics and maps. But when HDD Controller change status from 2 to 3 and become as alarm status I just only guess that it down and not rebuild or somethig else.

I read that you recommed use EXE/Script in this case. But I use SNMP and I have to install external SNMP-poller as I understand it. Can I use internal SNMP PRTG NM poller? For example powershell command:

$value = "cmd /c <PRTG_SUPER_POLLER>.exe -oid .1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.4.1.1.0"; and use returned value in this file for change it to name.

OR

Can I use some XML file with name/ID as my sensor for change returned values?

Thank you.

oid snmp values

Created on Sep 6, 2012 8:31:13 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

these SNMP lookups are not yet possible, and I'm afraid you cannot use the "PRTG SNMP Polling" engine to gather the values.

best regards.

Created on Sep 6, 2012 3:26:39 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Torsten - I see there is now a "Value Lookup" choice on the Channel properties - can user-configurable lists be added? If not now, hopefully it is planned in the near future?

Created on Dec 12, 2012 5:28:01 PM

Votes:

Yes it is planned. Actually it is already implemented and part of our preview release.

You can already test the feature with installing a PRTG freeware version und updateing it to the latest preview version.

This feature will soon be documented here.

We will give you a quick overview so you can already try to use it.

1. Go to your PRTG directory. (Default: C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor)
  2. Open the lookups directory. You will find our predefined lookups here. You can use them as an example, what the files must look like.
  3. open the subdirectory "custom" and place your own lookupfile there. If you use the same id as one of the predefined lookups, you will overwrite it.
  4. restart the PRTG services (there will be a way to load lookups without restarting the services)

We will never delete or overwrite any file in the "custom" directory, we might change or overwrite the files, that are placed directly in the lookups directory, though.

Created on Dec 13, 2012 10:42:53 AM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Last change on Feb 4, 2013 7:08:14 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Johannes - Thank you for the update - exciting news.

I'm running 12.4.7.3507 and don't see the lookups folder. Did you mean the latest Canary version?

Created on Dec 18, 2012 5:34:39 PM

Votes:

Dear Steve, "12.4.7.3507" should be the latest stable, however, Johannes mentioned it's so far only available up to the Preview-Builds.

Created on Dec 18, 2012 6:23:36 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have 13.1.1.1088 - the most recent stable and it looks like the "lookups" directory is not in this build either.

Created on Feb 4, 2013 6:30:38 AM

Votes:

Hi,
at the moment lookups are only available in the Preview Channel of PRTG. We plan to release this version as stable soon.
Best regards

Created on Feb 4, 2013 7:07:53 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.