What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can i monitor the CPU load and memory of a Router?

Votes:

How can add a sensor to measure the CPU load on a router and another one for the memory? I have read that i can use the SNMP sensors but none of them give me the option for CPU nor memory. Thanks in advance.

cpu-load physical-memory router snmp

Created on Sep 6, 2012 7:40:33 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
this is dependent on the router itself. Most vendors offer MIB files for the routers supporting SNMP. These MIB files contain more information than the PRTG standard sensors.
You can import a MIB file for the usage in PRTG with the MIB Importer.
Best regards

Created on Sep 7, 2012 1:46:32 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply, we have the CPU and memory sensors in place now for several routers. Now when it comes to the information we are getting, the results an integer (for example 5%) value do not match with the results shown in the graph (0.5%). It only happens on the CPU sensors since we are trying to get the info in %. I checked on the settings "unit string" and it displays "%" as well as the channel for such sensor. Is anything that can be done to resolve this?, so that the results logged in match the graph information.

Thanks in advance.

Created on Sep 12, 2012 3:15:51 PM

Votes:

Hi,
are you using a SNMP Library Sensor as suggested? If so, please see the tab "Settings" where you are able to set own factors for multiplication/division to adjust the values.
Best regards

Created on Sep 13, 2012 9:15:12 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, I went back and look at the configuration and on the channel tab there was an option for "Downtime" checked that was showing on the chart, so i unchecked that option and the graph then was reflecting the same results as the table logs.

Thanks for the replies.

Created on Sep 13, 2012 4:56:59 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.