What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can i filter sensors by group when creating a report?

Votes:

How can i filter sensors by groups when creating a report? In PRTG we have 206 devices, they are divided into different groups such as "Hosted", "Corp", etc. I am trying to create a weekly report of the "CPU load" sensor by group, if i use the option of sensors selected by tag and use the "CPU load" tag, the report shows all of the servers containing this sensor, is there any option that lets me filter by group so that i can have a report generated for each group wihtout having to do it manually? Thanks in advance.

reports sensor tags

Created on Sep 10, 2012 1:51:41 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

When you use the function to add all sensors by tag with the tag "pingsensor" all Ping sensors in your PRTG will be added to the report. If you then, define on each group of devices a "custom tag", for example "hosted" on the group of hosted devices, this "hosted"-tag will be inherited to all sensors in this group. You can now use the option filter by tag with the "hosted"-tag you will get sensors in the report that have both tags, "hosted" and "pingsensor", which means then only the ping sensors of the hosted group.

Created on Sep 10, 2012 4:15:07 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid in the moment the best way would be the two options (filter and add by tag) to create several reports (One CPU of Hosted Devices, one CPU of Corp. Devices, etc.).

best regards.

Created on Sep 10, 2012 3:34:12 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks to Paessler Support, I probably didn't explain myself well enough in the first question, I don't see an option for filtering the sensors by group once im creating a report. The only option i see is to filter by tag. when i try to create a report for a specific group i have to choose the sensors manually and it takes me a long time since there are many devices being monitored right now, so i was just trying to see if there are different options to save some time. Also if i add the tag, it automatically enters all the sensors with that tag (doesnt look at the group of the device).

Thanks again.

Created on Sep 10, 2012 4:00:26 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

When you use the function to add all sensors by tag with the tag "pingsensor" all Ping sensors in your PRTG will be added to the report. If you then, define on each group of devices a "custom tag", for example "hosted" on the group of hosted devices, this "hosted"-tag will be inherited to all sensors in this group. You can now use the option filter by tag with the "hosted"-tag you will get sensors in the report that have both tags, "hosted" and "pingsensor", which means then only the ping sensors of the hosted group.

Created on Sep 10, 2012 4:15:07 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks, it worked as expected and it will save a lot of time.

Created on Sep 10, 2012 4:25:07 PM

Votes:

Thanks, it worked as expected and it will save me some time.

Another related question, is it possible to make data show depending on the average total? like in descending order?

Thanks.

Created on Sep 10, 2012 7:03:23 PM

Votes:

Sorry, that is not possible.

Created on Sep 11, 2012 8:43:17 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.