What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Display "Last Message" not "Last Result" in a custom SNMP monitor

Votes:

We are testing out PRTG to see if it will meet our company's needs. I have created a custom SMNP oid monitor. The device responds correctly and PRTG sees the proper result, but instead of graphing this number, which shows up in PRTG as Last Message, it is showing as the information from a Last Result response. So instead of seeing 8800 - 8900 on the graph I am seeing things like 4ms or 5ms.

Is it possible to graph the message information? That's the right response for the channel, I am not even sure what the 4ms and other small time figure number is coming from.

custom oid prtg sensor

Created on Apr 23, 2010 7:38:02 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Seeing from your screenshot, you are indeed using a "SNMP Custom String Sensor", which is not able to graph its results (as they are supposed to be strings). Please try the 'normal' "SNMP Custom Sensor".

Created on Apr 26, 2010 2:42:23 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

6 Replies

Votes:

hallo,

what are you monitoring? Is that a string or an integer you get in return?

Created on Apr 26, 2010 8:07:31 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am sorry but how can I tell?

I believe it is an integer as the response is a number. PRTG is getting two numbers as a response, one is the millisecond figure, the second is the one I want "8800" as an example of what it is right now.

Here is the screen shot of the config.

PRTG is graphing the Response Time but the Last Message field is the one that should be used.

Created on Apr 26, 2010 1:26:55 PM

Last change on May 31, 2010 11:45:06 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Seeing from your screenshot, you are indeed using a "SNMP Custom String Sensor", which is not able to graph its results (as they are supposed to be strings). Please try the 'normal' "SNMP Custom Sensor".

Created on Apr 26, 2010 2:42:23 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ah ha, that worked. Thanks. I'll monitor it to see if it works right.

Created on Apr 26, 2010 7:19:25 PM

Votes:

hi... please tell me how to change "SNMP Custom String Sensor" to " SNMP Custom Sensor" ?

Created on Nov 9, 2017 2:39:37 AM

Votes:

Hey hadiantoso,

Thank you for your KB posting. Actually, there is no way to change/transform the Custom String sensor to the Custom sensor as these two sensors are completely independent from each other.

Therefore you need to deploy a new SNMP Custom Sensor to your device and pause/delete/remain the existing SNMP Custom String Sensor.

Best regards,
Sven

Created on Nov 9, 2017 6:11:15 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.