What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Gathering data with WMI sensors

Votes:

Hi I have a question regarding using WMI sensors. I need to collect statistics from Performance Monitor counters, for example Physical Disk counters. I can use "WMI Physical Disk" sensor but I have the following problem. When I set scanning interval to 2 seconds for example, the new value in LiveGraph table is not added every 2 seconds but with some random interval - 10 seconds, sometimes 5, etc. What is the purpose of such behaviour? When I set scanning interval to 30 seconds, the new value appears indeed ever 30 seconds, but with shorter interval, it looks like PRTG is not able to read counter from the target server frequently enough. I'll be grateful for explanation this issue.

Regards Martin

interval scanning wmi

Created on Sep 11, 2012 2:32:53 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

a scanning interval below 30sec for WMI is not recommended and a scanning interval below 10sec is possible but not officially supported.

Created on Sep 12, 2012 7:54:38 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.