What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remote Probe has non static IP can I use a /16 pool on PRTG server?

Votes:

I have a site with dynamic ip. I have the remote probe working well with the current IP and allowed the /16 subnet pool the ip will be from on the PRTG allowed address server section (X.X.0.0/16). If the IP changes but still within the /16 configured will this generate alarms or what is the best practice for remote probes with dynamic ip address and dynamic dns.

Thanks.

dynamic-dns- dynamic-ip remote-probe

Created on Sep 11, 2012 2:39:40 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The Remote Probes initiate the connection to the PRTG core server. Authentication is performed via probe Access key.

If the IP address of the machine running the remote probe changes, the remote probe will be able to reconnect to the PRTG core server, as long as the new IP address is not rejected by the core server. Note: A short downtime will occur while the remote probe tries to reconnect.

Please check the probe settings in the PRTG web interface in the system settings. For details, please see PRTG Manual: System Administration—Probes.

Created on Sep 12, 2012 11:22:06 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Sep 12, 2012 11:23:08 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.