What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Problem with SNMP bandwidth monitoring.

Votes:

When monitoring bandwidth using SNMP I consistently get 70-160 Kbits for each sensor ongoing. A year ago it was about 24 Kbits per sensor, but since then I have added many more sensors. Could this be causing the extra traffic on each sensor? This is an issue when determining total bandwidth a device is using. Is there a fix to only monitor traffic over a certain Kbits? How can I fix this?

bandwidth-monitoring prtg snmp

Created on Sep 11, 2012 7:30:04 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

hallo, what devices are you monitoring? Please describe in more detail.

Created on Sep 12, 2012 7:44:33 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am monitoring Ubiquiti RocketM, BulletM, Nanobridges, Nanostations, Powerbridges, Powerstations and Tranzeo CPQ-19s, TR-5s, TR-6000s. I am using PRTG to determine how much Bandwidth a customer is using.

Created on Sep 12, 2012 3:10:22 PM

Votes:

hallo,

is this one device per customer? Then a simple traffic sensor should do the job.

If it is several customers traffic on one device you would need to use flow or packet sniffing.

Created on Sep 18, 2012 9:44:06 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I am using a simple traffic sensor and it is one device per customer. I have about 900 sensors currently and about 400 of them are traffic sensors. The issue is now solved, thank you. This problem had to do with some upgrades to my backbone network which changed the network layout somewhat. Using PRTG I could find out which day this occurred on which in turn told me what caused the problem with the monitoring. I thank you for your help on this topic. This topic can be closed now. It must be noted that PRTG helped me solve this problem....:-)

Created on Sep 18, 2012 3:58:17 PM

Votes:

nice!

Created on Sep 19, 2012 6:41:18 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.