What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Port timeout value doesn't work

Votes:

Hi,

when a specific port goes down we don't won't it to be displayed in Alarms window if its not down at least for 180Secs. So I changed port "timeout(sec.)" value to 180 but still the sensor displays an error if its down for few seconds. Is this a know issue or am I doing something wrong?

down port timeout

Created on Sep 16, 2012 4:00:37 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

as with other sensor - types, the Timeout-value defines how long PRTG shall wait for an answer, regardless of the type of the answer. If however a port is down, which usually is an immediate answer the sensor will go into an error state instantly. This cannot be changed. You can "delay" a notification upon this though for 180 seconds with an accordingly set latency.

best regards.

Created on Sep 17, 2012 2:29:01 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, Actually I changed all our ping sensors' "timeout" value to 180Secs and they work fine. Now when a device goes down (ping down) PRTG displays a warning and after 180secs it displays an error but with ports this is different. Even though I set "timeout" value to 180secs for ports it displays an error after few seconds. Why is it different for ping sensors and ports? I think there is something wrong

Created on Sep 17, 2012 7:17:45 PM

Votes:

The timeout does not define how long PRTG waits until a sensor state is changed. That's only a side-effect with Ping sensors, if they do not get a response. But it's different with Port sensors, because when a port is down respectively not open, the answer usually is sent immediate. The timeout setting so is only applying in case the TCP packets of the port check may be delayed or even lost.

Created on Sep 17, 2012 7:46:58 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

PTF.PortState

This is possible with Custom Sensor PTF.PortState. The sensor returns the number of seconds a TCP or UDP port is not responding. Using limits you can set the sensor to a Warning or Down state if the port is not responding for more than xx seconds.

Parameters:

-id=  SensorID.
-h=   Host name or IP.
-p=   Port number.
-pt=  Optional, the protocol type to use (TCP or UDP), default = TCP.

As placeholders are supported, a typicall syntax could be:

-id=%sensorid -h=%host -p=80

The sensor can be downloaded from this page.

Regards,

Created on Sep 21, 2012 8:09:09 AM

Votes:

Gerard,

Thanks for the reply...but I tried this and it doesn't work..Tried in two different devices but it gives the following error. Any idea?

Response not wellformed: " Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'CustomSensors, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. File name: 'CustomSensors, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' at .() WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF. To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1. Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging. To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Created on Sep 24, 2012 9:25:37 AM

Votes:

Hi,

Something went wrong compiling the production version. There is a new version (12.3.2) online now that should work as expected. If you have any more problems, please let me know.

Regards,

Created on Sep 24, 2012 1:29:57 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.