What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can not see sensors when logging in to Windows GUI as Read Only User

Votes:

I can use the Windows GUI fine when using the admin user, however when using Read Only user (with access to 1st group) I can only see Root and nothing else. Can see from the Web GUI however fine. How can this be configured to work?

Regards,

Alex

gui prtg read-only

Created on Apr 26, 2010 12:00:53 PM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

unfortunately, this is a known issue. The user with limited access rights has to have read-access rights to all objects "between" the Root (including the root) and the object the user is supposed to have access to. Otherwise the WinGUI stopps displaying the device/sensor tree for this user as soon as it comes to an object where this user has no access to. We are working on this (a fix should be available with PRTG 8), and recommend to use the Web-Interface in the meantime as a work-around.

Best Regards.

Created on Apr 26, 2010 2:40:02 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I have a problem that seems to be related to the above but I hope it is not and it's easy to correct. I only have access to a read only account in this company and the web interface shows devices defined under remote probes and under the local probe. Using the Windows GUI I can only see the devices under the remote probes though. I don't see the devices defined under local probe. What could be wrong?

Thanks

Created on May 4, 2010 12:55:59 PM

Votes:

It's possible if you have access rights to one sensor or device, for example, but not to the overlying device / group. If the latter is collapsed that you wouldn't see the sensor in case.

This is the same issue as in the original query. We will be providing a fix with version 8.

Created on May 4, 2010 1:22:15 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.