What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can you assist me with planning a large installation of PRTG Network Monitor?

Votes:

I would like to plan a large installation of PRTG. Can you assist me?

install installation large planning prtg

Created on Sep 20, 2012 8:36:33 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Feb 9, 2015 2:56:39 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 16 or later

Site Planning for PRTG Network Monitor

When planning your PRTG installation, consider this rule of thumb: Typical PRTG installations on systems which fulfill these requirements almost never run into performance issues when they stay

• under 2,000 sensors,
  • under 30 remote probes,
  • and under 30 user accounts.

Of course, PRTG can scale much higher when the installation is planned well. Please see Sizing Recommendations below.

If you plan an installation that monitors more than 5,000 sensors from one instance of PRTG on a physical device or more than 5,000 sensors with PRTG running on a virtual machine we ask you to contact our pre-sales team for consultation.

Sizing Recommendations

Apart from the processing power required for the monitoring itself, several aspects can affect the number of sensors that you can use with PRTG. Please see the following article for details about PRTG site planning:

Created on Feb 9, 2015 2:28:30 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 11, 2017 1:34:29 PM by  Martina Wittmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.