What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Does each probe at a remote location need a connection to the master server?

Votes:

I currently have 5 remote locations with a server license at each location. I'd like to look at having one master server with each location pushing data up to that server. Does each probe at the remote location need access to the server, or can I have multiple probes at each location connect to a local master probe that then uploads all the data for that location?

Thanks

connection multiple-locations nat prtg remote-probe server

Created on Apr 26, 2010 8:56:50 PM

Last change on Jun 17, 2016 8:59:06 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

No, all remote probes connect to the core server on the same port so that only one port needs to be opened in the firewall.

Please take a look at manual section Multiple Probes and Remote Probes

Created on Apr 27, 2010 9:49:24 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 2, 2010 7:49:34 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

4 Replies

Votes:

A probe can only connect to one server at a time.

If you want centralized monitoring you have to use remote probes in your distant locations and these remote probes need to connect to the server in your main location.

Created on Apr 27, 2010 7:30:52 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So each probe behind a NAT at the different locations will need it's own port to connect successfully to the master server?

Are there any addons or configurations that would allow for a tiered probe system to limit the amount of connections between probes the master server?

Created on Apr 27, 2010 8:12:30 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

No, all remote probes connect to the core server on the same port so that only one port needs to be opened in the firewall.

Please take a look at manual section Multiple Probes and Remote Probes

Created on Apr 27, 2010 9:49:24 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 2, 2010 7:49:34 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

For some reason I had it stuck in my head that I needed the ports open on the probe end, not the core server end. That article helped clear things up.

Thanks

Created on Apr 27, 2010 10:03:27 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.