What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Cisco SG 200

Votes:

How can I monitor interface bandwidth on a cisco sg 200 switch? It doesn't appear to support SNMP - thought it does offer RMON.

Has anyone come across this yet?

cisco-sg-200 rmon snmp-traffic

Created on Sep 28, 2012 3:46:41 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Cisco SG200-08 (SLM2008T V01, firmware v1.0.8.3) apparently still does not support SNMP. It looks like its an intentional restriction by design - to force people into buying more expensive models - just to get SNMP.

But, I've written a bat to sidestep this restriction. It extracts the data values from the web interface using cURL, and outputs it as XML so you can use it directly in PRTG as a custom EXE/Script sensor.

I've created a small guide on how to do this... https://sites.google.com/site/sg20008/

Created on Dec 15, 2014 4:30:54 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

hallo,

out of the box PRTG does not support this, sorry.

Created on Sep 28, 2012 11:13:03 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I also need this monitoring an a cisco SG200-26P. Is Paessler planing to solve that? when? Is there a user-defined setup?

Created on Oct 3, 2012 8:22:47 PM

Votes:

It's obviously a limitation of the switch itself -- even in the web management UI for the switch, the utilization info is very limited. I found myself surprised with all the other management features of the switch that it doesn't support SNMP at all. Huge mistake by Cisco! RMON without SNMP is fairly useless for remotely gathering / reporting on the interfaces of the switch.

Now we know, not a switch we'll recommend or encourage clients to use!

Created on Oct 4, 2012 6:22:05 PM

Votes:

The latest firmware version from Cisco now supports SNMP for the 200 Series switches. Download from Cisco and install.

Created on Aug 22, 2013 6:15:42 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Cisco SG200-08 (SLM2008T V01, firmware v1.0.8.3) apparently still does not support SNMP. It looks like its an intentional restriction by design - to force people into buying more expensive models - just to get SNMP.

But, I've written a bat to sidestep this restriction. It extracts the data values from the web interface using cURL, and outputs it as XML so you can use it directly in PRTG as a custom EXE/Script sensor.

I've created a small guide on how to do this... https://sites.google.com/site/sg20008/

Created on Dec 15, 2014 4:30:54 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.