What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Batch edit notifications

Votes:

Is there a way to batch edit notifications? I didn't setup notifications on the template I've now cloned many many times and I'd prefer not to have to go back individually to each one to add them.

Thanks.

batch edit notifications

Created on Sep 28, 2012 7:13:45 PM

15 Replies

Votes:

hallo,

at the moment there is no such option, sorry.

Created on Sep 30, 2012 9:22:03 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Are there plans for this ability? Seems like a sensible parameter that one would want to batch edit.

Created on Oct 4, 2012 2:56:41 PM

Votes:

Is this in the road map? Setting up notifications is a pain unless you can batch edit like sensors.

Created on Nov 9, 2012 8:46:13 PM

Votes:

We are considering our options as regards adding such functions, albeit we would be hard pressed to let you know when.

Created on Nov 12, 2012 10:24:59 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Monthly bump on this...would be vastly helpful. I am pushing 600 devices and 9000 sensors...any notification changes are painfully time consuming because I cannot batch edit like sensors/devices notifications.

Created on Dec 12, 2012 11:34:17 PM

Votes:

Actually, now with notifications in Libraries there is a very easy way to add notifications to all sensors of a certain type, with a certain tag, a certain priority (maybe those one from a certain group), etc..

Created on Dec 13, 2012 10:26:57 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have played around with libraries a little bit, I'll dig in a bit more.

I would still like to be able to batch edit notifications.

Created on Jan 7, 2013 11:00:12 PM

Votes:

Perhaps I need to rethink how I handle notifications, but right now the library level doesn't seem to do it for me. In my mind I've already created all these devices and managed the notifications at the device and sensor level. I'll have to remove those to use the library level notifications otherwise I'll experience duplicate notifications.

For example I incorrectly assigned an app team notification in 92 places. I can go to the Notification object, click used by, and see all 92 places.....but I cannot batch edit to change the notification. I will have to manually go 92 time to change this notification. Doesn't make sense workflow wise to me. I'll do it because I have to, but makes me sad : ( I feel that I should be able to batch edit notifications for like devices or sensors or groups, etc.

Created on Feb 6, 2013 10:31:23 PM

Votes:

Unfortunately batch-editing on notification would be very very tricky internally to implement, especially as this is now possible with Libraries.
We would recommend to do triggers and notifications for general purpose in the normal device tree, but for certain "special purposes" (on a certain sensor type, of a certain group, etc.) use triggers on Libraries.

Created on Feb 7, 2013 4:51:50 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have also started testing Libraries for notifications and have been pleased with the results. I am starting to think about moving all notifications to Libraries.

However, I will also have to go back and remove the notifications I have already setup, some inherited, some specialized for a particular sensor. So, removing those notifications are what is troublesome and time consuming. A way to reset a device and its sensors to the default of "inherit notifications" and clear any existing specified notifications at the device or sensor level that aren't inherited would make things a lot easier.

Created on May 3, 2013 4:39:45 PM

Votes:

Hello,

THX for your ideas. We will think about this and I did already put it on the wish list.

Created on May 6, 2013 7:09:41 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hey all, This article was 95% helpful for me. I am in a very similar boat as IT Jockey; I have a ton of Cisco ASA VPN Traffic sensors that I'm going to start auto-acknowledging via notifications with HTTP executables. I set up a library that has every one of those sensors, and I made a notification for the library, but that notification almost seems useless because no sensor is going to use that library notification -- they'll still use the "inherit from parent" notification. Is there a way to get all these sensors to start inheriting from the library instead? Or do I have to go to each sensor and switch it to inherit from parent? If that were the case it would almost defeat the purpose.. Either way, I'm enjoying the library addition very much, just starting to use it! -Steve

Created on Mar 26, 2014 3:26:41 PM

Votes:

Currently the Triggers inherited within the Device Tree on sensors, have to be manually disabled on all sensors individually. We understand that his can be quite a hassle, and have improvements in mind for this. Please bear with us, and please consider your vote counted!

Created on Mar 27, 2014 1:23:34 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

You can use libraries to accomplish what your are trying to do. Create a library that filters sensors by tag or whatever you want. You can use + and - to include or exclude sensors with a specific tag. Example we created a library for applying notifications for sensors with a managed tag (+managed) but without a no-alerting tag(-no-alerting).

You can then apply the notification to the library or groups in the library. There are limits on this such as the notifications have to be on generic things like the state of a sensors primary channel. Fortunately the primary channel can be adjusted if need be.

Ultimately tags and libraries are the best way to go about performing dynamic notifications.

Created on May 4, 2016 1:31:26 PM

Votes:

Hi Paessler,

Has there been any update to this? We too are faced with the problem of using libraries as our primary notification method, but have many sensors that have object level notifications (added by auto-discovery, it seems) we do not want.

Also, the feature Tanner notes is quite interesting, but it only applies to libraries that target points in your device tree (i.e. "Show a subtree of the device tree in the library" option). Unfortunately this leaves this feature just short of amazing, as I can't include all of sensor type xyz excluding the 1 or 2 of that sensor I don't want.

Is there any plans to remove the restriction of the negative tag filters from applying exclusively to subtrees?

Thanks! Kevin

Created on May 25, 2017 1:20:36 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.