What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

File Monitor Oddity

Votes:

Hi,

I have two folder sensors acting strangely. If I have "Check of File Ages" set to "Do not check," PRTG properly retrieves file ages. However, if I set it to "Show Error if older," the sensor does not retrieve any data and only shows an error.

To be clear, the sensor goes into an error state not because the file is too old, but because it can't retrieve file age info. That makes no sense since the sensor is clearly able to retrieve file age data so long as it's not asked to evaluate the files' ages.

Kinda thinking this is a bug. We're on 12.3.3.2855.

Thanks, James

file-age folder-sensor smb

Created on Oct 1, 2012 3:56:19 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

can you please upload a few screenshots showing the issue?

best regards.

Created on Oct 2, 2012 11:07:49 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 2, 2012 11:07:58 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This was apparently a misunderstanding on my part. I didn't realize that when the file age is too old, the sensor data would show "ERROR" instead of the actual file age. I think that behavior is strange - the age should be shown regardless - but the check itself seems to be OK.

That said, is there a way to check if the NEWEST file is NO OLDER THAN xx days?

If I understand correctly, we can check if the OLDEST file is OLDER than xx days, or if the NEWEST file is YOUNGER than xx days. I'm trying to monitor a backup that runs every 24 hours, so I only care if the newest file is older than 24 hours since that would mean the backup didn't run.

Thanks for your help.

Created on Oct 2, 2012 2:49:01 PM

Votes:

It may be easier to use the Channel-Settings to do this with the Oldest and Newest File Channel, even though you would need to enter seconds there.

Created on Oct 2, 2012 5:02:20 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.