What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

how to set up dependencies between 2 servers?

Votes:

I would like to set up at least 2 dependencies per device (i dont know if this is possible), however i was trying and didnt work for me. I have the "server x" which is the actual physical host, this server restarts after the updates are installed, when this happens the virtual servers (hosted in "server x") are for obvious reasons restarted as well, so i get notifications for "server x" (ping down since is the master object for the device), then i also get the notificationsfor the other virtual servers (ping down, ping is also master object on those). I have already set up an schedule where "server x'' will be paused certain days of the week for updates (as a maintenance window), but since the boxes living in it are also "important" we can not afford to pause the monitors and risk it in case something really goes on during those times. What I am trying to accomplish here is, set up dependencies for the hosted servers from the actual host, so that any time that the host goes down, the sensors for all those are paused. However i would like to keep the ing sensor as the master on each device in case something really happens (outside of the updates schedule). is this possible? or do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

dependencies ping schedule

Created on Oct 2, 2012 9:42:22 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

This isn't directly possible, but you could try a workaround. Since a dependency also works from "above" a parent, you would need to make the underlying groups (containing the virtual devices) dependant of one sensor checking the phsyical host. This sensor and the respective device should not, however, be part of the same group as the virtual devices. In this case, keeping the already defined dependencies should work.

Created on Oct 4, 2012 1:05:13 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Thanks for the reply. This suggested work around was tested and it worked setting the dependencies on the actual group settings, however i was looking for a solution where i didnt have to move the devices to each physical server group. We already have the web interface set up divided in groups of: "apps servers", "file servers", "DB servers", "host servers", etc., if i move the devices to each physical host then i would have different categories of servers in each group (Which could create a unnecessary mess on the web interface, specially because we have several physical servers). Let me know if there are other things that can be done in this case.

Thanks.

Created on Oct 5, 2012 6:40:09 PM

Votes:

I'm afraid there is no other option that would allow to enstate these kinds of dependencies. What would be possible is to use Libraries to generate the desired look, but you would need to use the same tree hierarchical structure as outlined above in order to trigger dependencies in the desired fashion.

Created on Oct 8, 2012 12:21:09 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.