What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

My Avira Anti-Virus scanner reports PRTG as infected. What can I do?

Votes:

When I try to install PRTG on my system which runs the Anti Virus scanner from Avira (Antivir, Antivirus or Internet Security), I get a warning concerning paesslerdbsensorssda40.dll or other files.

What can I do about this?

anti-virus avira false-positive prtg virus

Created on Oct 4, 2012 3:10:32 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Oct 5, 2012 11:21:16 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 12 or later

Avira Reporting False Positives

As a monitoring solution, PRTG contains components to retrieve monitoring data from devices. Among others, these contain technologies such as packet sniffing, or libraries to connect to databases.

The heuristic mechanisms of some antivirus products can misinterpret these software components and show false alarms. Our customers frequently report issues with Avira.

In order for PRTG to run correctly, we recommend you disable Avira software during setup, and add the PRTG program directory to the white list of your antivirus product after installation. For details, please see Avira Knowledge Base: What should I do in case of a confirmed false positive from Avira?

If you experience difficulties with Avira products, we recommend you contact their business support directly at http://www.avira.com/en/support

As an alternative, you can of course also switch to another anti-malware product.

Created on Oct 4, 2012 3:19:40 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Oct 5, 2012 11:20:26 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

I found that the anti-virus ( Windows Defender ) on my system was causing a major performance hit. It is important to exclude the PRTG data files from virus checking. I run a server with a huge number of sensors ( over 40,000 but they are all SNMP and running on a separate remote probe ).

It's already a huge job to create the prd files and update them. Add in an anti-virus application that also wants to read the same files and you have added load to an already strained system. I had my server team whitelist my PRTG data folder ( couldn't do it myself ) and the disk queue for the D drive, where I have the folder, has shortened by a factor of 10 ( from single digits to tenths ).

Created on May 29, 2019 2:03:52 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.