What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Unknown Drives Showing in WMI Disk Free

Votes:

The system being monitored only has two partitions/drives (Windows Server 08) along with a USB drive currently attached as well as hidden boot/testing/recovery partition. PRTG however is reporting 8 Disk, C:, D:, F:, M:, N:, Q:, X:, Z:. Of those C:, D:(USB) and X: exist. On top of this in the Overview where you can uncheck the disk to show in the graph above I am unable to uncheck C:, D:, N:, X:, Z:.

I am wanting to only monitor X: as the USB is not always attached and C: should never change other than the logs PRTG is creating and Windows updates. If I try to uncheck N: it just rechecks it.

Where is it pulling these drive letters from?

drive drive-space multi-drive

Created on Oct 8, 2012 7:37:31 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
what precise sensor are you using?
Please also download the WMI Tester. Do you get the same results with the tester?
Best regards

Created on Oct 8, 2012 1:01:32 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Running on the local probe server, diskspacesensor and wmidiskspacesensor.

WMITester using Advance and selecting Logical Disk comes back with the correct number and assignment, C:, D: (USB), X:.

Created on Oct 8, 2012 1:19:40 PM

Votes:

Hi,
can you please try using the real WQL queries which are used in PRTG?
Do they produce the same output as mentioned before?
Do you also query the local server or are you monitoring a remote server? (If so, please try using the IP address instead of the hostname).
Best regards

Created on Oct 9, 2012 5:30:50 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sorry your going to have to be a bit more step by step with that. As I said this is the sensor on the host probe machine probing the host machine, all local.

I did add WMI Volume and during the setup it only sees the correct drives/volumes but I prefer what if I remember correctly was setup by default when I installed PRTG.

Created on Oct 9, 2012 8:02:56 PM

Votes:

Hi,
then please try just using the the WMI tester with the query mentioned in this article. What are the results of the WMI tester? Do they show the additional devices, too?

Created on Oct 10, 2012 7:14:28 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.