What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

My program to probe link

Votes:

I believe the best way to send data from my probe-computer-situated program to the probe software is sending of Windows messages. My program receives data from a USB-thermometer and sends that data to PRTG. Why shoud I build SNMP server? Why should I torment a computer with regular launching of my program in order to leave exit code for the probe? Please, creators, create a Windows Message Sensor! Thank you.

message sensor windows

Created on Oct 10, 2012 5:55:51 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

you could have your program write a logfile and then read the content of this logfile with the File Content Sensor.

best regards.

Created on Oct 11, 2012 3:25:25 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

OK. The only string in my file begins with + or - character. Then the temperature value. Examples: -1.5 +24 I failed to write correct regular expression for such a string. Could you help me?

imho this way is complicated and ineffective Let me repeat the appeal - Please create a Windows Message Sensor! Thank you.

Created on Oct 12, 2012 6:38:21 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.