What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor Temperature Dell PE R710

Votes:

Hello

I want to monitor the "system board ambient" temperature on my Dell PowerEdge R710 server with PRTG, but I've no idea which OID have to monitor. SNMP is activated

I've tried to get ot with a MIB browser and the Dell Poweredge MIBs but i cant find it.

Can anyone help me ?

Thanks force

snmp temperature temperature-sensor

Created on Oct 11, 2012 12:52:32 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

please see if the answers in the following article help: https://www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/30843-advanced-dell-temp-sensor

best regards.

Created on Oct 11, 2012 4:04:27 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello

Thank you but this OIDs don't work. I get an error "No such name error(IP-Adress)"

Created on Oct 12, 2012 5:28:44 AM

Votes:

I'm afraid then you can only consult with Dell themselves.

Created on Oct 12, 2012 1:58:38 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

If I recall correctly, the following requires the Open Manage Server Administrator (or something equivalent) be installed and functional. On Windows there's a service OM installs with 'DSA' in the name that must be running.

This what I'm currently using for a PE R810 which should be identical regarding this unless it depends on the level of iDRAC you have. I have an Enterprise iDRAC license. I don't know if the iDRAC license matters:

This returns the temp in the number of tenths of a degree C. I divide the result by 10 to get values like 22.5 C.

I also check the temp 'status' using:

According to the Dell mib document I read, below are the values of that sensor and there meanings:

other(1) The object’s status is not one of the following: unknown(2) The status of the object is unknown. ok(3) The status of the object is OK. nonCriticalUpper(4) The object is at the noncritical upper limit. CriticalUpper(5) The object is at the critical upper limit. nonRecoverableUpper(6) The object is at the nonrecoverable upper limit. nonCriticalLower(7) The object is at the noncritical lower limit. criticalLower(8). The object is at the critical lower limit. nonRecoverableLower(9) The object is at the nonrecoverable lower limit. failed(10) The status of the object is failed.

After struggling with trying to get what I was looking for in tems of OID values and mib documentation I finally feel like I have what I'm looking for. I have a PE R810 and several R820's and R720's. I monitor quite a few OIDs.

If you're having problems figuring out how to monitor something on your R710, let me know. I might be able to help.

Created on Nov 19, 2012 2:53:35 AM

Votes:

hello are you scanning against the iDRAC interface or the network NIC of the server?

Created on Nov 19, 2012 10:58:54 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I pull various snmp data from both the iDRAC and the Windows-based snmp services. The OIDs mentioned above are coming from the Windows-based snmp services.

Created on Nov 19, 2012 4:08:45 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.