What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Why does my SSH Disk Free sensor return "This sensor has not received any data since startup."?

Votes:

I am connecting using a username / private key. This is not a private key or firewall issue as connections using PuTTY work fine.

I used PuTTYGen to export the key as outlined here: https://kb.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/32883-how-can-i-use-private-keys-for-my-ssh-sensors-with-prtg

How can I view the logs within PRTG (or the Linux machine being monitored for that matter) to find out what is wrong?

disk-free private-key prtg ssh

Created on Oct 12, 2012 6:20:39 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello Stuart,

are you using a RSA- or a DSA-key? Unfortunately we are only supporting RSA-keys but at the moment PRTG doesnt throw an error-message. This will be fixed in the upcoming Stable release.

Kind regards

Created on Oct 12, 2012 3:09:47 PM by  Dieter Loskarn [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am definitely using an RSA key - I followed the previously mentioned article on exporting the key to the letter...

Created on Oct 14, 2012 2:24:50 PM

Votes:

Maybe the host is using a DSA-Hostkey.

You can evalute this in your Windows-Registry. When you log in to the PRTG-Machine as the user that was able to establish a putty-connection you can find a list of stored host-keys at the key HKCU\Software\SimonTatham\Putty\SshHostKeys.

The host-keys are stored with a name in the format <encryptionType>@<port>:<ip-address> where the encryption-type "dss" stands for "DSA"-encryption and "rss" for "RSA".

Kind regards

Created on Oct 15, 2012 12:10:22 PM by  Dieter Loskarn [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

I'm having the same problem trying to add a SSH disk free sensor, it doesn't return any data. I did what you have written, and the key begins with "dss", which means this is a DSA-key. Does PRTG support DSA-key now ?

Regards

Created on Mar 19, 2014 4:54:44 PM

Votes:

Hi,

currently PRTG supports DSA for hostkeys but not for userkeys.

Kind regards

Created on Mar 20, 2014 12:32:46 PM by  Dieter Loskarn [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.