What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Bad monitoring of vmWare SOAP vms

Votes:

My environment has multiple vCenter servers, with each vCenter instances having 4-7 ESXi hypervisors, and each vCenter instance has about 50-100 guests.

I can detect all of the vms from my probes, and I can monitor them individually, but the when I add a number of them, then I start getting alarms. The monitoring is flaky and unreliable at best even for 15 guests.

I get better performance when I monitor at the ESXi hypervisor host level.

Is there any way to combat tweak this? My scanning interval is 60 seconds. I don't want to monitor less than that.

guests soap vmware

Created on Oct 12, 2012 4:25:10 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid we would really love to make those sensors have a better performance, but that's beyond our reach, the way they have to get their information in the moment (via VMwares SOAP API and the SDK). However there are a few things that you can do How can I increase the connection limit on VMware systems? PE121, next to of course using longer scanning intervals or if the PRTG Probe is running in a VM, try to assign as many CPU-Cores as possible to it then.

best regards.

Created on Oct 15, 2012 11:32:22 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.