What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Auto discovery snmp and mac address

Votes:

Hi there, I've been using PRTG to monitor a reasonably large network which is growing at a fast rate. Every week we add more devices to PRTG as were notified however every month when we go through the network with a fine comb and discover many we have missed. I have tried using the auto discovery however with the way the network is setup it gives many devices that I've no interest in monitoring.

My question is thus, the equipment we want to monitor is mainly made by 4 manufactures (mainly Ubiquiti and others). On your website you state, as a feature of prtg 9, "PRTG detects the vendor of devices by analyzing their MAC addresses". What I need is something that scans our network, picks up new devices, sorts by their vendor, adds a specific set of snmp sensors (manufacturer dependent) and then alerts me by email of a device ready. Can PRTG do this or even some of this?

Cheers

auto-discovery mac prtg

Created on Oct 13, 2012 2:28:11 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid the MAC-Address check is only internally used in PRTG to assign vendor-based device icons to the devices found by the auto-discovery. It's not possible to use this check on a condition base. Sorry.

best regards.

Created on Oct 15, 2012 12:14:33 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.