What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remote-Probe Upgrade from v9 to v12

Votes:

We are using PRTG v9 with Remote Probes also on Windows Server 2008 R2, now we would like to upgrade to v12. For this, we evaluating the upgrading-process on non-productive Systems. The Core Server is still updating well, also the remote Probes on Windows Server 2003, but an upgrade of a Remote Probe on a Windows Server 2008 R2 is not done automatically, recommending to upgrade it manually. When i try to update it manually, the Setup expect a restart of the whole System. We actually monitoring with PRTG over 50 Systems with Windows 2008 R2, what do i have to expect when i upgrade the productive Core-Server, do i have to reboot all of the Windows 2008 R2-Servers with Remote Probes on it? What happen with the Datas, which are stored in the RAM, until the Remote Probe are not connected with the Core-Server in cause of incompatbility of the versions? Do you have a solution, or a Stepguide for manually upgrading a remote probe without rebooting?

prtg12 prtg9 remote-probe upgrade

Created on Oct 25, 2012 2:27:48 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid it is not possible to predict it a reboot will be necessary or not. Generally a reboot seems more likely if the system has a high uptime (i.e. ís/was running a long time since the last reboot). You could try a manual probe update with the PRTG Probe Service stopped at least 5 minutes before starting the installer, but that would not guarantee that a reboot might not be necessary. That would be the only way. All cached data of a Remote Probe will be disregarded in case of an update of PRTG. This can't be changed.

best regards.

Created on Oct 25, 2012 5:05:04 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.