What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to trigger "Incoming or Outgoing error" notification errors

Votes:

I'm monitoring more than 60 networks switches with 48 Ports, 2280 sensors. I added "incoming / outgoing errors" to all network switch sensors as a secondary channel.

Now I'd like to trigger a notification if there are errors > 0 on any switch interface. I found this trigger in "Speed triggers" (??) and could select this trigger only when setting "incoming / outgoing errors" as my primary channel. OK, PRTG uses the primary channel triggering notifications.

1) Is there another way to configure this ? I would like to leave the primary channel unchanged because of triggering "Data in / out" notifications too.

2) I configured more than 60 switches with 48 Ports. They are in a separate switch group. I'd like to create this trigger for this group but I can't select it in "speed triggers". Do I have really to switch every sensor's primary channel to "in / out Errors" first ?

common-errors error incoming notification outgoing prtg speed-closing-riders trigger

Created on May 1, 2010 9:06:28 AM

Last change on May 4, 2010 8:00:29 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

1. This would also be possible if you use channel limits and a "state" trigger. Then you wouldn't need to change the primary channel and could define the trigger on a group level.

2. Since there isn't a channel multi-edit option, you would need to do this for each sensor individually. One option would be tu use the auto-discovery function with a device template in which you define the channel limits.

Created on May 3, 2010 11:42:21 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.