What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI Sensors stopped to work with error: 80070005

Votes:

1. Updated to version 12.4.5.3165. (10/30/2012 1:44:11 PM) 2. Windows sensors (against windows server 2008 R2 web edition) stopped to work (no changes have been made on server that we monitor) with the message

Connection could not be established (80070005: Access is denied - Host: 192.168.2.10, User: Administrator, Password: ******, Domain: ntlmdomain:) (code: PE015)

However if I go to Virtual machine used to run Paessler and the following cscript runs successfully:

strComputer = "192.168.2.10"
Set objSWbemLocator = CreateObject("WbemScripting.SWbemLocator")
Set objSWbemServices = objSWbemLocator.ConnectServer _
    (strComputer, "root\cimv2", _
    "Administrator", "pass")
Set colProcessList = objSWbemServices.ExecQuery( _
    "Select * From Win32_Processor")
For Each objProcess in colProcessList
    Wscript.Echo "Process Name: " & objProcess.Name 
Next

I'm getting output

C:\>cscript test.vbs
Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Process Name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5680  @ 3.33GHz
Process Name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5680  @ 3.33GHz

So WMI works

a. I gave Administrator credentials for Device, the same I used in the script above b. I restarted windows server (broken sensors) - but this didn't help c. I restarted probe service - no effect

any ideas?

80070005 windows wmi

Created on Oct 30, 2012 9:21:36 PM

Last change on Oct 31, 2012 2:12:35 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

the difference may be that you are running the script under your account but the Probe Service runs under the "LOCAL SYSTEM"-Account, can you maybe try changing this?

best regards.

Created on Oct 31, 2012 2:42:27 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you Torsten, but I'm little bit confused.

a. my Paessler monitoring lives on server B b. my Windows server that I'm trying to monitor (and fail) lives on server C

So in paessler for Device in settings->section "Credentials for Windows System" I set Administrator account of server C.

From my perspective this should not affect what local account of server B is used to run Paessler - am I wrong?

Another thing that bothers me is that I didn't do any change - the paessler just stopped. I quickly turned off firewall completely on server C, but it didn't help = so the problem is not in firewall.

c. COM Security on server C has "Administrators" group added and remote launch/remote activation is enabled for them

Any ideas?

Created on Oct 31, 2012 7:35:37 PM

Votes:

Well, obviously there is no reason why PRTG would stop monitoring a sensor out of the blue just because it doesn't want anymore. So there has to be a reason, something happening outside of PRTG causing this. With WMI & DCOM there are hundreds of possible reasons, starting from GPOs ending with a simple password change. As you've restarted the probe service, an issue with the WMI Connection can be ruled out. So that leaves the only difference between the Probe (probably running under "LOCAL SYSTEM"-account) and your script (running under your account). Why that makes a difference? Please ask Microsoft.

Created on Nov 1, 2012 8:44:28 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I changed

PRTG Core Server PRTG Probe Service

to be run as "Administrator" account, restarted probe server and that did help monitoring. WMI Sensors came online.

So something has happened with WMI settings on Targeting machine...will try to find it and let you know here

Created on Nov 1, 2012 11:30:38 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.