What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

APC UPS Failed Battery Detection

Votes:

Hi

We have a number of APC UPS's, including a Smart-UPS 5000RT and a Symmetra LX 16 series. Both of these have network management cards.

I have tried both the default PRTG-included APC library and I have downloaded the MIBs from APC, but cannot seem to find a way to detect a failed battery module (of which we have quite a few in the Symmetra).

I have tried the "ups adv battery/ups adv battery num of bad batt packs", which seemed a logical choice, but this currently has a value of '0', even though we have three bad batteries in the system!

I can see the info on the failed modules by logging into the web interface of the management card, so it must be possible to retrieve this data via SNMP?

Has anyone come across this? any help greatly appreciated...

apc battery fail monitoring ups

Created on Nov 1, 2012 1:50:12 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

hello,

but monitoring them with PRTG works in general and the available values match with what you can see on the web interface?

Created on Nov 2, 2012 8:04:24 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

In general it's great and the data matches (although I had to tweak the division setting to get runtime displaying as minutes - hardly a major hassle). For our smaller UPS's it's great, but for the Symmetra we can't see the info for individual battery failures.

I'm managing to use the "UPS adv battery replace indicator" oid which generates a result of 1 (batteries are fine) or 2 (a battery or batteries are dead). This needed the limits defined to say upper error limit was 1 (i.e. anything above would generate an error...) This works great and I include the details of what was done in case they are of use to others...

But there is considerably more detail in the APC web interface which is almost certainly coming from SNMP and would be nice to pass through to PRTG if possible :)

Created on Nov 5, 2012 1:13:10 PM

Votes:

hello, where did you find the OIDs for the Symmetra? Do you have an MIB?

maybe we can shift this from KB to support.

Please reply to [email protected]

Created on Nov 5, 2012 6:44:53 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This is using either the APC SNMP Lib provided with PRTG, or using the oidlib downloadable from APC specifically for the Symmetra which converted to a MIB using the Paessler importer.

Created on Nov 6, 2012 1:07:29 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.