What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do you set the community string on an snmp probe

Votes:

Evaluting PRTG application for monitoring. Can't seem to find where I set the community string for a SNMP monitor

community-name prtg snmp-sensor

Created on Nov 2, 2012 8:51:07 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Matt,
thank you very much for your input.

You won't find this under "Setup" because Setup refers to PRTG's setup itself and other global settings. The SNMP Community is considered a credential and as such will be a setting on the "Device Tree" (Head to "Devices" to see the Device Tree).

If you're going to use one community string for the whole deployment, you can simply configure this community on the "Root" object, who's address is https://prtg/group.htm?id=0&tabid=8

Within the settings tab of root, scroll down until you locate Credentials for SNMP Devices, configure it as required/desired.

On a deployment where you need multiple different credentials (i.e. community strings) you can configure the SNMP Credentials at &&Probe, Group or Device level&&, they all have the Credentials for SNMP Devices in their settings tab. Please keep in mind that like other settings in PRTG, the SNMP Credentials will be inherited by all objects below the level where you configure it, unless overwritten at a lower level:

Hope that helps/explains it, otherwise please let me know. :)

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Nov 20, 2017 6:32:09 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Nov 20, 2017 6:32:34 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

3 Replies

Votes:

hello,

this can be done on root, group or device level

if you edit on root or group level the setting gets inherited to all child elements.

go to the settings, go to the Credentials for SNMP Devices and enter the community string

Created on Nov 2, 2012 8:54:57 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, I too am evaluating PRTG and I cannot, for the life of me, find where one sets the default community string used throughout my network and the jury of self-awareness is split on "it's probably right under your nose" and "why would they do such a good job of hiding something so fundamental?" One thing is for sure- I very much regret not entering the string correctly during the initial setup thinking that it would be easy to set later!

When you say "settings"? What do you mean exactly? There is no menu titled "Settings". Under "Setup" there's "Account Settings" but that's definitely not it. I'm not able locate any other "Settings". I've tried searching the probe hierarchy but any search query just spin forever, never finding anything, which is disappointing. I've sufficiently wandered aimless around the UI looking for it to no avail, so I now all I can do ask for help.

Thank you in advance, Matt

Created on Nov 18, 2017 5:15:35 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Matt,
thank you very much for your input.

You won't find this under "Setup" because Setup refers to PRTG's setup itself and other global settings. The SNMP Community is considered a credential and as such will be a setting on the "Device Tree" (Head to "Devices" to see the Device Tree).

If you're going to use one community string for the whole deployment, you can simply configure this community on the "Root" object, who's address is https://prtg/group.htm?id=0&tabid=8

Within the settings tab of root, scroll down until you locate Credentials for SNMP Devices, configure it as required/desired.

On a deployment where you need multiple different credentials (i.e. community strings) you can configure the SNMP Credentials at &&Probe, Group or Device level&&, they all have the Credentials for SNMP Devices in their settings tab. Please keep in mind that like other settings in PRTG, the SNMP Credentials will be inherited by all objects below the level where you configure it, unless overwritten at a lower level:

Hope that helps/explains it, otherwise please let me know. :)

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Nov 20, 2017 6:32:09 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Nov 20, 2017 6:32:34 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.