What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

100 logons failed since last start

Votes:

I was logged in PRTG with my active directory credentials and I changed the default password yesterday, about an hour later the IT team received the following email "[PRTG Network Monitor (PICUT001)] New Todo: Web server is slowing down login attempts (Protective measure)". I went into the core server to check out the logs and see if we get any IP address where the failed logons are coming from and i found these errors repeatedly up until this time:

2012-11-02 09:58:07 192.168.XXX.X "user2018" picutXXX.piicorp.org 8080 POST /api/table.json count=*&content=sensorxref&noraw=1&filter_basetype=sensor&sortby=probegroupdevice&columns=objid,name,access=treejson,probegroupdevice=treejson,status=textraw,lastvalue,favorite,info&id=0 200 "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)"

2012-11-02 09:56:22 192.168.XX.X"anonymous-prtgadmin-login_failed_and_delayed_120_seconds" 192.168.XX.X 8080 POST /api/getstatus.htm login=prtgadmin&password=* 200 "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; PRTG Network Monitor Enterprise Console; Windows)"

The IP address on the first error is from my workstation, and the second one is from the PRTG server core (covered by "X" per security reasons).

Is there any way I can stop this errors or fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

failed-logins logs password-change

Created on Nov 2, 2012 3:13:57 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Please have a look at What is Overload Protection?

Created on Nov 2, 2012 3:19:31 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.