What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

I cannot send SMS text messages to US numbers using Clickatell. What can I do?

Votes:

I try to use the pre-configured Clickatell setting of PRTG to send out SMS text messages to US mobile numbers.

When sending "Test" notifications, the PRTG Logs show an "OK" entry, but I do not receive any messages on my handset.

Why is that?

clickatel

clickatell configuration help notification-delivery notifications provider prtg sms

Created on Nov 6, 2012 3:42:28 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Nov 6, 2012 4:14:18 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Important note: Clickatell has changed their API, so the information as provided in this article might not work anymore. Clickatell is not officially supported as service provider for SMS delivery from PRTG anymore.

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 9 through 16

Clickatell Requires a Special Procedure for Sending Text to US Numbers

Due to the regulations of the upstream carriers for the U.S, you require a U.S "two-way" number in order to deliver messages to the U.S. via Clickatell.

If you try to send notifications with PRTG without this requirement being met, you will receive an "OK" message for successful delivery of the message to the SMS gateway; however, the gateway will not send the message (and there will be no warning in PRTG!).

You can either go for another SMS provider, or follow the procedure in this article in order to get SMS notifications to US numbers working via Clickatell.

Please note that we cannot support you regarding the Clickatell API. We provide this article for you information 'as it is'.

If you have questions regarding the Clickatell API or their SMS text message functionalities, please contact the friendly Clickatell technical support directly.

Clickatell Options

One solution is to sign up for an API account package with a monthly fee that includes such a two-way number.

For more information, please see clickatell.com

Please note that Sender ID for the USA is not supported so it is not possible to use your business name or your custom mobile number as a sender ID. You will be given a two-way number upon registering which will be shown as sender ID of your messages.

PRTG Settings: Use Custom URL

For US numbers you cannot use a pre-configured SMS provider setting in PRTG, but please use a custom URL.

• Please refer to the article How do I send SMS with PRTG using a Clickatell account?
  • Get an account at Clickatell which includes a two-way number, just as described in Step 1 and Step 2 of the article.
  • In Step 3, please select the Enter a custom URL for a provider not listed option. You can then enter a custom URL including the desired parameters. You will need two additional parameters in the URL:
    • mo=1
    • from=(your US Longcode number; i.e. your two-way number)
  • For example, a minimum custom URL for sending text to US numbers could look like the following: https://api.clickatell.com/http/sendmsg?user=MYUSERNAME&password=MYPASSWORD&api_id=1234567&from=TWOWAYNUMBER&mo=1&to=%SMSNUMBER&text=%SMSTEXT
  • In the URL, please replace the following dummy strings by your own values:
    • MYUSERNAME
    • MYPASSWORD
    • TWOWAYNUMBER
    • Note: %SMSNUMBER and %SMSTEXT will be replaced by PRTG automatically when an SMS text message is triggered.
  • For a detailed description of all parameters, please see the Message parameters of the Clickatell "HTTP Post Specification" on clickatell.com.
  • In the article mentioned above, please proceed with Step 4.

Note: The computer running the PRTG core server must be allowed for internet connections on port 443; either directly or via proxy, as configured in PRTG's User Interface (in previous PRTG versions: "System & Website") settings.

Created on Nov 6, 2012 4:07:10 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Mar 8, 2017 11:56:57 AM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.