What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is there any sensor that can monitor the RAIDs of a dell server?

Votes:

We recently had a battery failure in one of our file servers, this caused the disk to failed and somehow deleted all the data stored in there. After this issue, we would like to add the necessary sensor to monitor the raids of a dell machine, we had added the SNMP Dell Hardware sensor but there are many of them and we dont know which ones to add when it comes to the battery checks, one sensor was added and the result was "#3" which we dont really know what it means. We also have access to a dell website that checks on the health of the servers and right now is showing a warning sign but does not show where it is coming from. We would like to know what sensor is recommended to add so we can see when something in our servers is failing and to show what it is. Any suggestions on this issue will be apprecciated.

Thanks in advance.

battery dell failure raid

Created on Nov 6, 2012 5:41:35 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

most likely the following two coming sensors will help you:

• SNMP Dell PowerEdge Physical Disk
  • SNMP Dell PowerEdge System Health They are currently available in the Preview - Channel and are probably going to be in the Stable-Channel within the next 2-4 weeks.

best regards.

Created on Nov 7, 2012 2:22:31 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I checked fo the update containing these sensors but the one available for me is 12.4.6.3230 for the production instance of PRTG. It mentions: •[Sensors]: Added generic sensors for hardware monitoring of SNMP enabled devices Does this update contains the sensors I need to add to the devices in order to monitor the health of the server? •SNMP Dell PowerEdge Physical Disk •SNMP Dell PowerEdge System Health Another question comes to mind, when checking for updates for the Staging instance we have in place, there is another version available Version 12.4.6.3229. Is there any reason why they have different version number? if the content for what i read is the same. Thanks.

Created on Nov 7, 2012 3:21:41 PM

Votes:

Sorry, no the specific Proliant sensors are not part of Stable version 12.4.6.3229/3230. Please bear with us.

Created on Nov 8, 2012 2:54:50 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.