What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

how to monitor microsoft kms

Votes:

Hi! I´m using PRTG V.12.3.3.2855 and want to monitor a microsoft kms but i don´t know how. Monitoring only the port 1688 works but i want more information for example:
- DNS Zones - this is a regkey, but no string, so i get an error message
- Clients without licence
- Clients with grace licence

Is there a way to monitor this with PRTG?

Thanks.

kms prtg wmi

Created on Nov 8, 2012 9:14:43 AM

Last change on Nov 8, 2012 3:05:26 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello. Now I added 14 sensors for each case in: %,?,?,%
where the left question mark can be 0 or 1. That means physical or virtual machine.
And the right question mark can be 0,1,2,3,4,5,6. That means:

0 - Unlicensed
1 - Licensed (Activated)
2 - OOB grace
3 - OOT grace
4 – NonGenuineGrace
5 – Notifications
6 – Extended Grace

And it works. So that i get notified if kms issues no correct licence.
Is it possible to combine the search string in one sensor for examble:
%,0,1,% AND %,1,1,%

Thanks.

Created on Nov 15, 2012 10:59:40 AM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

sorry, this may only be possible with Custom Sensors in PRTG.

best regards.

Created on Nov 8, 2012 3:06:13 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

What do you want monitor with PRTG ? A numeric number of activated machines or activations/Sec or more failures and errors.

Monitoring "problems" can be done using the Eventlog

Volume Activation Technical Reference Guide : Windows Event Log http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793440.aspx

PRTG: Event Log Sensor (Local or Remote) https://www.paessler.com/manuals/ipcheck_server_monitor/eventlogsensorlocalorremote

Created on Nov 9, 2012 10:10:30 AM

Votes:

Hello. I decided now to monitor the eventlog messages on the kms server. So that I get notified if one client gets no correct licence. For example a grace licence. According to the informationen about Volume Activation that frank Carius wrotes, thanks frank, the important event id seems to be 12290. So I added a sensor in PRTG, filter by eventid and now I have to filter the message for example:

Eine Aktivierungsanforderung wurde verarbeitet. Info: 0x0,5,PC488.domain.com,XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX,2012/11/14 07:49,0,1,XXXXXX,XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX

where the important area is bold market including comma. How can I search for the strings: ,0,0, --- ,0,1, --- ,0,2, --- ,0,3, --- ,0,4, --- ,0,5, --- ,0,6,
--- ,1,0, --- ,1,1, --- ,1,2, --- ,1,3, --- ,1,4, --- ,1,5, --- ,1,6, ?

Has anyone an idea?
%,?,?,% --- %,*,*,% --- %,%,%,% ---doesnt work

Thanks.

Created on Nov 14, 2012 9:43:09 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello. Now I added 14 sensors for each case in: %,?,?,%
where the left question mark can be 0 or 1. That means physical or virtual machine.
And the right question mark can be 0,1,2,3,4,5,6. That means:

0 - Unlicensed
1 - Licensed (Activated)
2 - OOB grace
3 - OOT grace
4 – NonGenuineGrace
5 – Notifications
6 – Extended Grace

And it works. So that i get notified if kms issues no correct licence.
Is it possible to combine the search string in one sensor for examble:
%,0,1,% AND %,1,1,%

Thanks.

Created on Nov 15, 2012 10:59:40 AM

Votes:

We are actually suprised that it works with %,?,?,%. Could you please try with %,0,1,% AND %,1,1,%? At the moment we cannot tell if this will work, but we would also be very interested in knowing.

Created on Nov 15, 2012 3:55:22 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Is it possible to monitor on a Client if the windows-activation over a KMS-Server is successful or not and if yes , how?

Created on Jun 21, 2016 5:44:53 AM

Votes:

Hi,
Currently this is not possible with native sensors. However it might be possible using a own script ran by a EXE/Script (Advanced) Sensor.
Best regards

Created on Jun 22, 2016 7:25:59 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

%,?,?,% did not work for me. I was able to use this %:%:%,%,0,% and it seems to work fine. Just replace the "0" with the 0-6 options mentioned above, depending on what you want to monitor. In my case, I don't care if it's a Virtual or Physical machine, so I used "%" for that location. I setup 6 eventlog monitors to alert on 0,2,3,4,5,6.

Created on Mar 2, 2017 1:49:12 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.