What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Packet Sniffing sensor

Votes:

Hi *, I have a Packet Sniffing sensor running for monitoring traffic volumes on http port 80. Now I would like to differentiate within this based on the DNS host names. So for example something like: show me the traffic volumes for all websites that have the word "google" and "mcirosoft" in the DNS name. Is that possible? And how (assuming that it is)?

Best regards, Will Moonen

packet sensor sniffing

Created on Nov 13, 2012 2:37:50 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid this would only be possible with a Custom Packet Sniffer sensors, with then the hostnames (goole & microsoft) resolved into IPs.

best regards.

Created on Nov 13, 2012 4:17:31 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm using the custom version - sorry for the confusion. I would expect something in the channel definitions.

Examples of current channel definitions:

1. 1000:BitTorrent ((Protocol[TCP] OR Protocol[UDP]) AND (SourcePort[6363] OR DestinationPort[6363] OR SourcePort[8063] OR DestinationPort[8063]))
  1. 1010:Filesharing ((Protocol[TCP] OR Protocol[UDP]) AND (DestinationPort[137-139] OR DestinationPort[445] OR SourcePort[137-139] OR SourcePort[445]))

Based on this, I would expect something like this:

1. 1020:Microsoft SourceIP[*microsoft*] AND DestinationPort[80]
  1. 1030:Google SourceIP[*google*] AND DestinationPort[80]

Is this correct? Any suggestions?

Created on Nov 13, 2012 4:32:11 PM

Votes:

Only full dns-names are supported. With dns-names, wildcards cannot be used.

Created on Nov 13, 2012 5:27:22 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.