What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP "Authorization Error (SNMP error # 16)"

Votes:

Here is the Cisco config (C3550-IPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.2(44)SE6:

snmp-server group TATAv3 v3 auth
snmp-server user albert albert-group v3 auth md5 albert123456

(second line doesn't show up in Switch#sh run)

Switch#sh snmp user

User name: albert
Engine ID: 800000090300000DBD21B881
storage-type: nonvolatile --> active
Authentication Protocol: MD5
Privacy Protocol: None
Group-name: albert-group

In PRTG I have:

Device Type:
o Automatic sensor creation using specific device template(s)
x Switch (Cisco IOS Based)

<Uncheck> Inherit Credentials for SNMP Devices
SNMP Version - v3
Authentication Type - MD5
User - albert
Password - albert123456 (hidden with dots)

Everything else blank or default.

I am getting the above error message. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Albert

16 authorization cisco error error-messages prtg snmp

Created on May 5, 2010 7:03:35 AM

Last change on Mar 21, 2014 5:43:22 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I found out what the problem was. Apparently in contrast to all the examples on cisco.com and several other web sites showing how SNMPv3 is configured, the group name specified in "snmp-server group <group-name> ..." has to match the group name specified for the user "snmp-server user <user-name> <user-group-name> ..." <group-name>=<user-group-name>. Perhaps this is a PRTG requirement since I haven't seen this restriction any place else (same as the 8 character minimum password?).

Hopefully, this post will save someone else the 2 hours of pain it caused me.

Thanks, Albert

Created on May 6, 2010 7:25:31 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

SNMP error # 16 (SNMP_ERRORSTATUS_AUTHORIZATIONERROR) means that an authorization error occurred. Either the name, password, authentication type or Data Encryption Key (DES) defined do not match the device's settings.

For troubleshooting purposes, please scan against the device using our SNMP Tester.

Created on May 5, 2010 8:52:37 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I found out what the problem was. Apparently in contrast to all the examples on cisco.com and several other web sites showing how SNMPv3 is configured, the group name specified in "snmp-server group <group-name> ..." has to match the group name specified for the user "snmp-server user <user-name> <user-group-name> ..." <group-name>=<user-group-name>. Perhaps this is a PRTG requirement since I haven't seen this restriction any place else (same as the 8 character minimum password?).

Hopefully, this post will save someone else the 2 hours of pain it caused me.

Thanks, Albert

Created on May 6, 2010 7:25:31 AM

Votes:

Hello ,

You should use sha intead of md5 ,

here cisco configs :

snmp-server group topsecret v3 priv read ALL_ALLOW 
snmp-server view ALL_ALLOW iso included
snmp-server user admin topsecret v3 auth sha *** priv des56 asdfasdf

asdfasdf : Data encription key . 

Kind Regards ;

Created on Jun 3, 2014 2:19:10 PM

Last change on Jun 3, 2014 2:36:17 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

For those who followed the digital ocean guide found here:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-and-configure-an-snmp-daemon-and-client-on-ubuntu-14-04

You may run into this same issue ("Authorization Error (SNMP error # 16)") if you do not include the PASSPHRASE you created your user with as the 'V3 Encryption Key'. The PASSPHRASE was created with the '-x' switch.

I was getting this error because I was not including the Encryption Key in the SNMP Tester setup, and providing the 'V3 Encryption Key' seems to have fixed the issue.

I hope this helps.

Created on Jul 5, 2017 6:19:43 PM

Votes:

Hello jonesnc,

Thank you very much for your valuable hint. I'm quite sure that some users will benefit of that.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Jul 6, 2017 11:47:51 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 4, 2020 3:21:07 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.