What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

New hybrid (WMI/RPC) sensors documentation

Votes:

I have updated to 12.4.6.3230, but I can't seem to find the new "hybrid" sensors mentioned in the release notes.

From what I understand these sensors should use perfmon over RPC first and fall back to WMI if that fails.

Are these the sensors marked "BETA"? They don't seem very hybrid to me, and they lack documentation (pressing the ? gives a "not found").

Also are they not supposed to replace the WMI sensors, which I read as replacing the ones that I have already created.

I have a PRTG core server with main probe that is struggling with performance issues due to a lot of WMI sensors (Windows only environment) and I'm excited to try to get a handle on the performance issues.

Can you unconfuse me regarding these sensors, and how I can take advantage of them? :)

hybrid rpc sensors wmi

Created on Nov 14, 2012 1:23:26 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

some WMI Sensors now run in this 'hybrid' mode (for example the WMI CPU Load Sensor). This means that they try automatically (default setting) to use Performance Counters to request their values (you do not need to do anything to enable this), and will fall back to "normal old" WMI if gathering the values with performance counters does not succeed. You can force also only PC or WMI in the "WMI Compatibility"-Settings of each device/group.

best regards.

Created on Nov 14, 2012 6:33:57 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks!

It was not clear to me that the sensors were updated out of the box like that (very nice by the way!) since there is no(?) change to the look of the sensor settings page, and no indication on the sensor/device whether it actually uses RPC or WMI. This would be nice to know so one could take steps to enable RPC communication should it not be available.

I wish there was some indication on the settings on the applicable WMI sensors whether RPC communication was up and working or it had fallen back to WMI.

For me I see a lot lower CPU utilization, so I guess at least most sensors now run on RPC.

Created on Nov 16, 2012 11:46:34 AM

Votes:

Hello.

Would possibility of migrating CPU WMI sensors these new hybrid sensors, or would that create them again?

If I had to recreate them, lose all the historical

thanks

Created on Nov 23, 2012 12:35:24 PM

Votes:

The WMI CPU Load sensor is automatically hybrid. It will first try Performance Counters, and then if that fails, fallback to WMI. So there is no need to add it anew.

Created on Nov 23, 2012 3:01:07 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.