What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Problems with SNMP traffic sensor

Votes:

I have a problem with SNMP traffic sensors on some server interfaces. I create the sensors manualy. When I get the list of interfaces, they are all there and I select the ones I am interested in. But as soon as PRTG starts polling them, it fails, giving "No Such Name (SNMP error #2)".

I suspect this happens when the ifAlias and/or ifDescription has a colon character (:) in it. For example, I am looking at an interface that has ifDescription "Device vmnic0 at 03:00.0 bnx2", and ifAlias "03:00.0".

How can I work around this?

Best regards Kevin DORRELL Luxembourg

error ifmib prtg

Created on Nov 15, 2012 1:58:07 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Could it be that the traffic in is showing / working, but not the traffic out?

What precise version of SNMP are you using (v1, v2c, v3)? Were the sensors added using 32-bit or 64-bit counters?

If 64-bit, please check if using SNMP v1 (32-bit) works. It is highly unlikely the issue has to do with the name entry.

Created on Nov 16, 2012 12:37:01 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Thank you, that was a good catch. I interrogated the server with SNMP version 1 and it worked correctly. The strange thing it is that I have about 20 identical servers, and only two of them are showing this behaviour. I shall ask the server guys to check their SNMP is configured for version 2c.

Best reagrds Kevin DORRELL Luxembourg

Created on Nov 16, 2012 1:51:54 PM

Votes:

Further to this problem, I have a suggestion. In the current version, you can bind a sensor to one of two keys:

ifAlias (1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.18) from ifMib, which is recommended ifDescr (1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2) from the older interface MIB

For some server implementations it would be really useful to be able to bind the sensor to ifName (1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.1)

Best regards Kevin Dorrell Luxembourg

Created on Jan 22, 2013 8:23:03 AM

Votes:

We'll put this on the wishlist!

Created on Jan 24, 2013 3:42:52 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.