What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remote Probe does not appear buffer data

Votes:

I've been using remote probes almost a year and I just realized that it doesn't seem like they are buffering data when they lose the connection.

The article at this htttp:www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg8/remote_probes_and_multiple_probes.htm states the following:

"During a connection loss a buffer stores a maximum of 500,000 sensor results in RAM memory of the remote probe system (up to 50 - 200 MB). This means that for 100 sensors with one minute interval the monitoring results of up to 3 days can be buffered (or 52 minutes for 10,000 sensors with one minute interval)."

If that were really the case then I would very rarely have gaps in my monitoring data. My remote probes typically have fewer than 100 sensors and don't have anything scanning faster than 5 minute intervals and yet if I look at the graphs and tables I can see plenty of short gaps in coverage of just a few minutes or hours. It appears that no buffering is done at all.

Unfortunately I don't see a way to attach pictures but I'd be glad to attach examples of what I'm talking about. The typical case would be that I see a gap in the green displayed on the Probe Health sensor and if I look at various sensors in the probe during that time, they don't have any data.

buffered-data buffering communication-interruption remote-probe

Created on Nov 19, 2012 9:58:00 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Did the probe in case restart while disconnected? If so, this would explain the data loss, seeing as this would clear the RAM, as such losing the stored monitoring data. Feel free to send an email to [email protected], refering to this thread and including your core and probe log files for analysis.

Created on Nov 20, 2012 1:26:10 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

No, and I'm not talking about one instance on one remote probe. I have dozens of remote probes and many of them have intermittent network connectivity that would make buffering the data a valuable feature. Unfortunately I do not think I can share the log files.

Created on Nov 20, 2012 1:32:55 PM

Votes:

I'm afraid without the log files we wouldn't be able to discern what exactly is / was the issue.

Created on Nov 20, 2012 2:30:30 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.