What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is there a way to run UNIX Scripts directly from PRTG Network Monitor?

Votes:

I try to set up some old AIX machines which aren't able to run SNMP. I want to start some Unix scripts and will receive a string or an number. Is this possible somehow?

linux prtg sensor unix

Created on May 5, 2010 11:43:37 AM

Last change on May 5, 2010 12:10:08 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

As of PRTG 12, you can run custom shell scripts on your Linux/Unix system using the SSH Script sensors. They run directly on the target system and can collect and return monitoring data.

Created on Feb 21, 2013 2:16:26 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

2 Replies

Votes:

Please double check if you really cannot use SNMP for your Unix monitoring. For more details see How do I install the SNMP daemon on Linux machines?

If you cannot use SNMP, try using a script. You cannot run Unix scripts directly from PRTG. If you, however, can write a script on your Unix machine that provides the monitoring results on a web page that PRTG can access, you can use an HTTP Content sensor to grab these values and monitor them in PRTG. For an example using PHP, please see How can I remotely monitor the free disk space on an PHP enabled server with PRTG?

See also: Using the HTTP Content Sensor

Created on May 5, 2010 12:52:19 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Jul 9, 2010 12:23:23 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

As of PRTG 12, you can run custom shell scripts on your Linux/Unix system using the SSH Script sensors. They run directly on the target system and can collect and return monitoring data.

Created on Feb 21, 2013 2:16:26 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.